Boston Confidential

Just a novice runner unhealthily obsessed with the shiny future and trying to collect as many T-shirts as possible

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Coulda' Woulda' Shoulda'

Today's Globe reports that the company behind the little red robot that keeps my floors so spankin' clean is also cleaning up on the NYSE.

Shares of iRobot climbed $2.70 to $26.70 from their opening price of $24. The company and its insiders sold 4.3 million shares on Tuesday, in an initial public offering seen as a test of the appeal of robotics to investors. The company said its share of the offering was about $72 million, and yesterday's trading gave it a market value of $621.8 million.

As I write this, the stock is trading at $34. Why, oh why didn't I buy some yesterday at the IPO? I thought about it. I can still pick up some shares but this is like buying a coat right after the 20% off sale ended...